Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Presence

To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

-William Blake


There are times in my life when I'm unmoved by beautiful songs and sensual women. Then there are times when the grass at the side of the road touches my soul. The difference is how present I am.

Meditation, reading slowly, walking barefoot, paying attention: these are some doorways to life. As our great sage Ferris Bueller once said, "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

4 Comments:

At 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

> There are times in my life when I'm unmoved by beautiful songs and sensual women. Then there are times when the grass at the side of the road touches my soul. The difference is how present I am.

How about times in your life when you feel maybe there is some kind of 'Divine Creator' after all?!

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Jewish Atheist said...

Yeah, not so much. But that's really for the other blog. :-)

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger CyberKitten said...

a nony mouse said: How about times in your life when you feel maybe there is some kind of 'Divine Creator' after all?!

Never happened to me.... [grin].

Sunsets, kittens & dragonflies are pretty cool though... amongst other things...

I now what you mean about 'being in the moment' JA. It's the place to be....

Ferris rocks!

 
At 10:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the poem. Here's a similar one from Tennyson, also profound:

Flower in the crannied wall,
I pluck you out of the crannies,
I hold you here, root and all, in my hand,
Little flower - but if I could understand
What you are, root and all, and all in all,
I should know what God and man is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home